Sunday, November 12, 2017

Round and round we go

I always think that once show season is over, I'll have more time to do things I have been putting off all summer. Somehow, that doesn't seem to work quite as planned.
This past week has been pretty busy. I was in the office two days, then had two busy days at the farm. I was able to ride Zippy and Lily a few times last week.
Lily had an awesome jump school early in the week; she was quite forward and happy to be jumping, since we hadn't jumped since Will O'Wind at the beginning of October. She was very bold, so we did pattern with 4 jumps and constant turning, which I found in an article that Practical Horseman posted last month. It kept her listening as she was constantly unsure of where we were going next, which in turn kept her light on the front, which can be a challenge for her when she gets excited.


Zippy had a couple trail rides and a light flat school. He still has that cut under his chin, so he's been going without a noseband, and seems to quite like it. His challenge is always stretching down and relaxing; he likes to go around very tight and with his head in the air like a giraffe. So we worked on relaxation and suppleness and asking him to come round and stretch down. He isn't strong enough to consistently come round, but he gets lovely moments here and there. I'm really looking forward to next year with him.
It is SO hard having a job

Friday was a complete write off riding wise; it was a high of -7 Celsius, plus the wind chill, so the ponies were bundled up and did a whole lot of nothing all day, while I ran errands with my mom and got some Christmas shopping done.
Mike and I tried to start a shelter for the ponies yesterday, but the ground was frozen so we couldn't get any posts in the ground. We'll try again on Thursday and if the ground is still frozen we will build a portable shelter instead. Fingers crossed the warm weather and rain this week gets the frost out of the ground!
Eve left this morning for her new home, and I had a lovely woman come to see a client's horse for sale. Everyone is definitely looking to find their new horse to work with over the winter for next show season!

No comments:

Post a Comment

25 Questions, stolen from The $900 Facebook Pony

I saw this blog post on The $900 Facebook Pony , and I love these things, and I haven't been blogging much, so I thought I would give i...