Thursday, November 23, 2017

Ponies, ponies, ponies

It's nearing the end of November, and generally this is when the weather gets pretty sketchy in Canada. However, this month, it's been pretty good, which means I've been able to get lots of riding in.

I have started lightly riding Tom this week, and he is so hilarious to ride. I always find it funny that people think TBs and OTTBs are crazy, because when I restart them they are generally so damn lazy. Tom is no exception; I have to carry a stick with him and he thinks trotting more then once around the sand ring is way too much work. Since he is still such a baby, we aren't doing much; he has done a little bit of trot work, walked over some poles, and cantered a few strides each way. I like to get them out hacking as well; gives them variety and gets them thinking about where their feet are, since they are used to being ridden on perfect footing. Tom thinks hills are way too much effort, and he isn't so sure about going out alone, but he does what he's asked with minimal silliness. The work seems to be calming him down in the field too, not that he is super hyper, but he gets anxious when others start work for the day.

Zippy has been putting away at relaxing into the contact. He tries so hard and wants to be a good boy. His canter is coming along well, he's straightening out and getting stronger. I took him out for a gallop in the fields the other day, and for the first time he actually stretched out and galloped, as opposed to keeping his head up to protect his mouth. He seemed to really enjoy it once he realized it was fun and not a big deal. He accompanied one of my boarder's with her horse on a hack on Tuesday as well; her horse is not a great trail horse, and Zippy was just so calm and carefree that it seemed to really help Ozzie settle.

Lily has been an angel as always. Hack on Monday and light flat work yesterday. She focused very well considering Ozzie and another boarder, Huxley, were being lunged while we rode, all 3 of us in the sand ring. Her right lead canter is getting better, but I think she needs to see the chiropractor again, or I need some lessons, as she feels a bit stiff behind. We're going to do a jump clinic in December with a local 2* eventer, so I'm really looking forward to that.

2 comments:

  1. just found your blog and am getting caught up - sounds like you've got a lovely collection of ponies ! also yea, i know exactly what you mean about lazy ottbs haha, Tom sounds a bit like my Charlie in some ways. Charlie is definitely not convinced that work is worth the effort sometimes lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really not surprising Tom never made it on the track! Lol

      Delete

25 Questions, stolen from The $900 Facebook Pony

I saw this blog post on The $900 Facebook Pony , and I love these things, and I haven't been blogging much, so I thought I would give i...