Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Time to introduce myself

This is my first time blogging, so I'm not sure how things will go, but I've been thinking about doing this for a long time. I don't really care if anyone reads it, I just feel the need to get my thoughts down on paper (or computer screen) and get my frustrations out sometimes, however I never seem to have the desire to sit down and write them out by hand.

My name is Katie Buxton, I'm a 27 y/o female from Ontario, Canada. I run a boarding, lessons, sales and training business called Buxton Equestrian out of my family farm, specializing in OTTB's. I currently have 7 of my own horses, and 5 boarders, which keeps me pretty busy. 

My horses are as follows:
Vinnie

Vinnie is a 2001 Appendix AQHA gelding, my first love and my first event horse. He is now semi-retired and enjoys doing a few w/t lessons per week. He is the king of the farm, and likes things to be done his way or he will let you know that he isn't happy.
Bella

Bella is a 2006 OTTB mare. I competed her to pre-training eventing before deciding that I just wasn't enjoying riding her much anymore. She is very hot and sensitive, and her flat work was just going down the drain, making the dressage phase of eventing very stressful. She was on a breeding lease spring 2017 that didn't work out, so I'm trying to decide what to do with her next year.
Lily

Lily is a 2010 OTTB mare. We are currently competing entry level, and have worked very hard to get to where we are. I purchased Lily as a 5 y/o from a breeding farm where she had a foal as a 4 y/o but then didn't catch again. She hadn't been ridden since her track training as a late yearling, so we have taken our time getting the basics down and it seems to be paying off. I love this horse and am very hopeful for our future!
Zippy

Zippy is a 2012 OTTB gelding. He arrived in the summer of 2016, and our journey has been full of ups and downs. I love him to death, but he is very quirky and still trying to get over some of his track memories. He has been plagued with abscesses this year, so our plans didn't exactly work out. I am hopeful that a winter of rest will help and he comes out swinging next year!
Tom


Tom is a 2014 OTTB gelding. I purchased him spring 2017 from Finger Lakes Racetrack in New York. He is a resale project, but man is he ever a sweetie. He has been enjoying down time, relaxing and growing, and I've been puttering around with him, doing a little of everything and not much of anything. He is still such a baby so I try not to fry his little brain too much.
Cross with her teenage rider, Michaela

Then I have the ponies, Bronco and Cross. Bronco is a 20 y/o 12.2 Haflinger X gelding, who I use for lessons. Tucker has also claimed him as his, although he doesn't do a whole lot of riding. Cross is a 19 y/o Welsh X pony mare, who is Piper's. She also does a few lessons. I love both these ponies, they have so much attitude but teach the kids so much.
Bronco


I live 30 min away from my farm with my fiance, Mike, and his two kids, Tucker and Piper. We have a little house in town, and it's nice to have my own space away from the farm sometimes. We have a dog, Oakley, who is a Kijiji mutt and one of the best dogs I've ever had. 

I think that's a decent introduction for now; we'll see what tomorrow brings.

3 comments:

  1. Maybe I'll get back to it, haha. My art-horse fusion blog. Nice to get a formal introduction of the gang. :-)

    ReplyDelete

25 Questions, stolen from The $900 Facebook Pony

I saw this blog post on The $900 Facebook Pony , and I love these things, and I haven't been blogging much, so I thought I would give i...