Thursday, December 14, 2017

A year in review

The other day I was thinking about how my business has grown. 2017 was totally different from 2016 in terms of what the majority of my work involved, and I like to think things are working out well.

In 2016, I was riding A LOT of horses. Well, a lot for someone who also worked a part time job, lived half an hour away from her farm, and also had to do all the other normal farm chores. I have at least 2 horses in for training each month from March through to November. It was crazy. And as much as I love training, I found that it made me really tired and not as happy to ride my own horses. The nice thing about training horses is the extra income. It really helps.

2017 brought on hardly any training horses (two in total) but a ton of lesson students, while barely advertising. I had 12 regular lesson students through the year, with a few extra here and there. I taught 3 nights per week, which helped me still have time for everything else: riding my own horses, going to my hubby's baseball, and going to the kid's sports things. Bronco and Cross were quite fit and really stepped up to the plate to do a couple lessons (just w/t mostly) 3 nights a week. They really are the best ponies.

The spawn of satan herself (the pony, not the kid)


Like I said earlier, I really didn't advertise this year. I like to think that I've been around for long enough now that people just know where I am and what I do (wishful thinking, probably). I had no trouble filling boarding spots when boarders moved out for various reasons (bought their own farm, moved to an indoor for winter). And I mean no trouble, like the day I was given notice, I had people scheduled to move in, and in both occurrences, I actually had more horses move in then I was hoping for. There are 14 horses on the farm right now, 7 of my own and 7 boarders. I like to say I really only have 5 though, as the ponies are the kids'. It makes me feel better, so shush.

This year was pretty damn good at the farm; I'm happy with what I accomplished personally and professionally. I'm looking forward to next year, I have a great group of ladies and horses (and kids and ponies), and I'm really excited to grow and expand more.

Vinnie & Bella

No comments:

Post a Comment

25 Questions, stolen from The $900 Facebook Pony

I saw this blog post on The $900 Facebook Pony , and I love these things, and I haven't been blogging much, so I thought I would give i...